myLittleTools Community Forum

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The file you selected is not a valid backup file. Options · View
mssqlpete
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 1:13:21 PM
Groups: Member

Hello,

I am running SQL Server Management Studio 2008 on my computer.

I have a copy of my database on this set to compatibility level 2005 (90).

My new hosting company use myLittleBackup to manage their 2005 SQL Server accounts.

When I create a backup of the database on my computer and try to "Restore" it on the live account I get the message:

"The file you selected is not a valid backup file. Please choose another file and try again."

I ran "Check Databases" on myLittleBackup and the "Current Value" of Compatibility Level is "SQL Server 2005" (although the expected value is SQL Server 2000)

Any ideas?

Thank you. Peter
elian
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 1:27:08 PM

Groups: Administration

SQL Server backup files are backward compatible, but are NOT forward compatible. Which means there is no way to have a SQL2008 backup restored on a SQL2005 server.

mssqlpete
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 11:01:55 PM

elian wrote:
SQL Server backup files are backward compatible, but are NOT forward compatible. Which means there is no way to have a SQL2008 backup restored on a SQL2005 server.

I've installed SQL Server Enterprise Manager 2005 and tried it again with a completely new copy of the database (created via 2005 this time).

I'm still getting the same error:

"The file you selected is not a valid backup file. Please choose another file and try again"

Any step by step guides on how to create a backup from Enterprise Manager to myLittleBackup, or different configurations I should try?

Thanks.
elian
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 5:32:08 AM

Groups: Administration

I'm sorry you have to contact your webhoster as your problem may come from its installation.

JFI, myLittleBackup accepts backup files directly done by SQL Server, using T-SQL command (which includes backup performed using Management Studio)
mssqlpete
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 10:59:00 AM

Hi,

I solved it in the end. When I installed SQL Server 2005 on my main computer it was still connecting to the 2008 server rather than installing it's own 2005 server.

Running the 2005 Express installation on my laptop (which had no previous SQL Server install on it) installed the 2005 server and the backup files generated from this program work fine.

Thanks for the help!